The spine is the most important organ in our body system. It provides stability and strength. The spinal vertebrae (bones) protect the spinal cord. Therefore, any problem in the spinal cord needs to be solved immediately.
Spine surgeon is doctor who specializes in the treatment of the spinal cord. Patients who are suffering from pain in the spinal cord can go for surgery. This will provide them with the best solution to relieve pain and allows them to perform everyday activities.
The widespread fallacies about spinal procedures made deciding to have spine surgery considerably more challenging. Before making any decisions, you must first understand these myths and the facts underneath them. The best course of action is always to heed your doctor’s advice since they can advise you on whether or not surgery is a viable option for your particular spinal issue.
Any time a spinal procedure is carried out; it doesn’t always imply that it will be an involved process. There is no cause to be afraid, even if it is acceptable to think of spine surgery as painful. Spine surgeon adopts procedures with minimally invasive techniques are standard.
Types of the spine surgeon
Earlier, neurosurgeons are considered to be the main surgeon for the spinal cord. But nowadays, science and technology have evolved and both neurosurgeons and orthopedic surgeons can perform spine surgery.
- Neurosurgeon: – Neurosurgeons’ specialization in the diagnosis and treatment of disorders such as brain, spinal cord, nerves, intraspinal vasculature, and intracranial vasculature.
- Orthopedic surgeons: – Orthopaedists are specialists in the diagnosis and treatment of all bone and joint disorders including spinal disorders, arthritis, trauma, sports injuries, hand injuries, deformities, and bone tumors.
Various Types of spine surgery
There are several types of spine surgery performed. Some of the common types of spine surgery are listed below:
- Cervical disc replacement: – In this surgery, surgeons remove the damaged portion of the disc or the entire disc depending on one person’s problems. An artificial disc or bone graft is placed in the spinal cord. It provides several benefits such as more mobility, quicker recovery, and improved function.
- Kyphoplasty: The surgeon who deals with fractures is known as a kyphoplasty surgeon. In this, the surgeons use a special type of balloon and cement to fix the fractured bone. This procedure helps to attain the same height as the compressed vertebrae.
- Spinal fusion: – Spinal fusion is used to connect two or more vertebrae. Spinal fusion is used to treat spinal instability, scoliosis, and herniation. Sometimes spinal fusion may result in a loss in flexibility in the spinal cord and it requires a long time to grow and fuse the vertebrae.
- Nucleoplasty: – In this surgery, radiofrequency energy is used to treat lower back pain connected with a mildly herniated disk.
Things to cinsider in a spine surgeon
For the best spine surgery, you have to consult the best spine surgeon available in your area.
- Make sure to check that the surgeon is board-certified and fellowship-trained in the spine.
- Choose a surgeon who devotes at least half of his/her practice toward spinal treatment.
Things Patients Have to Suffer
However, the patient may continually put off having the operation because they are afraid of it, so they miss the most excellent and ideal opportunity to undergo spine surgery. Therefore, a delay could result in irreparable alterations, and even a heroic procedure at that point could make spine surgery unsuccessful.
If the patient has unreasonable expectations or has not discussed them with the physician, it is easy for them to feel that the procedure failed. It would be best if you were very open with the surgeon about your expectations.
Involving the patient, family, and doctor in decision-making and establishing reasonable expectations will increase the likelihood of a successful surgery.